Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Recipe: Monte Cristo Sandwich

What is a Monte Cristo sandwich, you ask? Basically it is a ham, turkey and Swiss sandwich, battered and fried and served with powdered sugar and a sweet and fruity dipping sauce. I tried my very first Monte Cristo sandwich last summer at a local restaurant that has never disappointed me, and that still holds true! I was hesitant because, let's be honest, it sounds weird! Right? Weird for sure, but intriguing enough that I had to try it. My husband-the-picky-eater wouldn't taste a small bite even after I swore it was delicious. But since I'm the cook of the house, I decided to make them myself for dinner and force feed him until he liked it! Just kidding, sort of. I did make the sandwiches and told him to eat or go hungry. And guess what? He didn't like it, he loved it! Now you can try it and love it too :)

FYI: This is a somewhat heavy and very filling sandwich which is why this recipe only makes enough for 4 half sandwiches. If you have more people to serve or have a larger appetite, just double the recipe.



Ingredients:

4 slices white bread
2 slices deli ham
2 slices deli turkey
2 slices Swiss cheese
1 egg
2/3 c milk
2/3 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tbsp mayo, optional
oil, for frying
powdered sugar, for dusting
raspberry jam, for dipping

In a frying pan or deep skillet, pour in about 2 inches of oil and turn on medium heat. While oil is heating up, assemble sandwiches as follows: bread + ham + cheese + turkey + bread. You may spread a little mayo onto one of the slices of bread if desired (my hubby boycotts the mayo but I like it). Slice sandwiches in half once, from corner to corner.
In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt & pepper and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg and milk. Stir dry ingredients into egg and milk mixture.
Dip each sandwich-half  into the batter and coat all over. Transfer to the oil and fry until all sides are golden, about 2 minutes on each side. You can stick toothpicks into the sandwich before dipping to help it hold together if you have some trouble.
Dust with powdered sugar and drizzle with warm raspberry jam. Or, if you prefer, serve the jam on the side for dipping. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...