Pages

Friday, December 6, 2013

Recipe: Eggs in a Basket


Here I am! I didn't really go anyway, I just took a nice little break from the internet (sort of, but not really) to stuff myself with turkey and sweet potatoes, do some Christmas shopping, watch lots of season finales, and prepare myself for a 5-week furlough from work. Which starts today, by the way. We got some really nasty weather overnight that is predicted to continue through Saturday morning, so I took a snow day today instead of braving that treacherous drive to and fro.

For a lazy snow day in my pj's, I definitely needed a good brunch like eggs-in-a-basket. I don't think I've ever eaten egg-in-a-basket (or eggs-in-a-hole, as it's also known) prior to today. If I have, I don't recall it. But I sure don't know WHY I haven't had it before because it's super easy and delicious!


Ingredients:

 
Bread of choice-- any bread will do; I had these fluffy sandwich buns and I wanted to use them, but a regular slice of sandwich bread is just fine.
Eggs
Butter
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese (not pictured)
1 tsp chopped green onions
salt & pepper, to taste

Grab yourself a biscuit cutter, cookie cutter, round glass, or other round object that you can use to cut a hole into your bread. Just press it right down in the middle of the bread and remove the middle. Don't throw that out, though. We're gonna eat it, too!

 
Heat a skillet on the stove over medium heat. I like to butter one side of my bread before placing it in the skillet, but you could also melt a little butter into the skillet instead.
Lay your bread down in the skillet and drop a little bit of butter in the center. Now crack your egg right into the hole.

 
Allow to cook for about a minute. The white should be beginning to cook, but you don't want the bread to burn. Flip your bread over gently as to not bust the yolk, and cook about a minute longer.
 
 
Sprinkle with salt & pepper and the chopped green onions.

 
Now top with shredded cheese. Go ahead and butter up your bread hole and place that in the skillet too.


When your cheese is just starting to melt you can remove the eggs-in-a-basket from the skillet. Flip the bread hole if you'd like and get it nice and crunchy on both sides.

Serve with breakfast potatoes, sausage links, or nothing at all because it's pretty darn good by itself and very filling!


Mmmhmm good :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...