Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

DIY: Ombre Wall Art

 
I think I'm starting to lose it over this government shutdown. I should've mentioned a few posts ago that I'm currently out of work because of it, being a federal employee and all. The first day was ok... I took advantage of the chance to be incredibly lazy and watched Dawson's Creek reruns all day. I was a little nervous by the rumors I'd been hearing that it could carry on longer than just a day or two, though, and I was feeling the pressure. I hardly slept that night from worry. Now, 2 weeks later, I am so beyond scared, stressed, nervous, etc. that I don't have any emotion left about it. I'm just plain bored. This can't possibly go on much longer, can it? I never thought I'd be begging to go to work but I'm doing it. Right now. I'm begging!

So obviously I have a ridiculous amount of free time and I've been keeping as busy as possible with craft projects. Here is another one!

Disclaimer: My camera broke several months ago and I've yet to replace it, so these photos are taken by my cell phone which clearly does not take very good pictures. I apologize for this.



What you need:
  • A large inexpensive picture frame (I paid $1 for this one at the dollar store)
  • Thick white paper that fits inside the frame
  • 3 paints: 2 shades of your chosen paint color, plus white (ex: dark blue & light blue & white)
  • Round sponge brush
  • (Not pictured) A plate for mixing paint on
What to do:

 
Step 1- Remove the "photo" that comes inside your picture frame. Confession: I just flipped this over and used it as my white canvas! You can do the same, or use other white paper of the same size.
Step 2- Without paint on the brush, place invisible dots across the paper to map out your pattern and see how many dots you can fit onto your canvas. I used a pencil to make light markings on the paper as a guide (although you may notice I didn't follow them very well and went a little lopsided on my picture).
Step 3- Pour a large blob of your darkest color onto the plate and dip your brush in. Paint a whole row of dots across your canvas in this color.
Step 4- Mix a teeny tiny bit of your lighter color into the darker color and mix well. Use this to make another row of dots directly above the first row.
Step 5- Add another little bit of your lighter color to the darker color so that it's slightly lighter than the previous row, and make another row of dots across the canvas.
Step 6- Pour a new blob of your lighter paint color on your plate. Do not mix this in with the other paint, wash your plate if necessary. Paint a row of dots in this color right above the previous row of dots. Now, you should have one row of solid dark color, 2 rows of gradually lighter color, and 1 row of solid lighter color.
Step 7- Add a teeny bit of white to the lighter color and paint another row of dots.
Step 8- Add even more white to the lighter color and make another row of dots. Continue to do this until you do not have room for any more rows of dots.



No comments:

Post a Comment

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...