Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2013

DIY: Stamped Welcome Mat

Okay, so I've seen a gazillion (yes, a gazillion) of these DIYs on how to fancy up a welcome mat, and I just couldn't resist doing my own. I had a ton of ideas that could be fun, fancy, seasonal... etc. and I hope to eventually try them all. That way, I can rotate mats when I want a subtle change! Here is my first one... I hope you like it, and have fun making your own.



What you'll need:
  • A welcome mat (I used this old one that has been at my front door for months, but you could certainly purchase a new one if you wanted.)
  • Outdoor acrylic paint, or use spray paint for a more polished look
  • Stencil
  • Painter's tape
  • Foam/sponge brush if you're not using spray paint
What to do:
Step 1: Tape off any parts of the mat that you want protected from the paint. If you are using spray paint, lay down some newspaper or brown paper bags to protect the surface around the mat as well.

Step 2: Place your stencil where you want to start. If you are using spray paint, I would suggest taping the stencil down so the breeze doesn't take it away... But for this I just used a brush and some paint so I held the stencil with my fingers as I went. Expect to get a little paint on you and enjoy it! :)


Step 3: Work your way around the mat, painting the stenciled design in your desired pattern. I actually did not think ahead and just randomly placed the stencil as I went along.

Step 4: Allow paint to dry completely. This shouldn't take too terribly long but give it a good hour or two just to be safe. Remove tape.


Now admire your pretty spruced up welcome mat, and be sure to take photos to show your friends how crafty you are.







No comments:

Post a Comment

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...