Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

DIY: Embellished Sweatshirt



I have a confession: I don't wear sweatshirts, because I feel frumpy in them. I LOVE them, don't get me wrong, but I don't like to wear them outside of the house unless I'm at a bonfire. But dang, they are oh so cozy, right!? So to solve this problem I needed a dressier version of the basic sweatshirt. Do you know that prices are nearly doubled for a hoodie with some sequins on it!? Pfffft.. 
 
 
See this super comfortable and incredibly plain sweatshirt? It's from H&M and it was $12.95. I first bought it thinking I could wear a patterned button-up underneath or maybe throw on a scarf to dress it up. Then I remembered that I purchased some silver studs from the craft store a while back to cover up a stain on the back pocket of a pair of jeans I love, but somehow, some way, the jeans have vanished into thin air. I am at a total loss as to where they could've gone to! Has that ever happened to you? My dryer doesn't just eat socks, it apparently eats entire outfits too.

So, anywho, I had these studs and no real idea of what to do with them and then it hit me! Why don't I embellish this cozy gray sweatshirt with them!?!

What you'll need:


  • Sweatshirt
  • Iron-on studs
  • Scissors
  • Optional: a seam ripper
I started off by carefully removing the V that is sewn at the neck of the sweatshirt with a seam ripper. Scissors would work for this too if you're very gentle and careful only to cut the thread and not the fabric it's sewn to!


Next I experimented with placing the studs onto the fabric in patterns. In the end I decided to go with a  very simple descending triangle design:


Following the ironing instructions on the package, I ironed the studs in place. I pulled at them a little bit to make sure they were on there nice and secure. Some of the glue seeped out around the edges of the studs and I just used a toothpick to clean it up. The glue dries clear so it's really not noticeable at all.

I had only used half the package of studs and I didn't want them to go to waste, so I decided to add a few to the sleeves as well!



No comments:

Post a Comment

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...