Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

A trip to the Cincinnati Art Museum.

Wednesday was a very cold and rainy day. It was the kind of day where you feel trapped inside by the weather, but desperately want to get out and do something. Lunch and a movie was out because I'm seriously broke and starting to feel guilty for all the hand-outs. So, thanks to a bright idea by my friend Dan, to the FREE art museum we went. It's a fun thing to do if you give half a damn about art and have a couple hours to spend walking around and admiring the works. Watch out for the official-looking security folks who stare you down if you get too close to a sculpture, though. WHAT? I find the details of this bronze lady's buttcrack fascinating. Sheesh.

I remember the last time I was at the art museum-- it was for a college art course I was taking and we did a fun little scavenger hunt. One artist who impressed me then, and did so again during this visit, was Darren Goodman. His specialty is blown glass.

Ferrari Challenge
Trial by Fire
These are the photos I took of his work. I think the hanging tear-drop display was called "Trial by Fire", and the wall of vases was the "Ferrari Challenge". There was plenty of other beautiful artwork that I did not photograph. I found out while trying to snap some photos of the Contemporary Art displays that, while the artist is still living and collecting royalties on their work, photographs are not to be taken. Oops. (Props to the official-looking security folks for making themselves useful.)

Anywho, it was a nice day that ended with a scrumptious Pesto+Turkey grilled cheese sandwich from Tom+Chee. YUMMMM. And yes, I was a mooch and let Dan buy my lunch. He insisted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...