Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

DIY: Easy no-sew fleece poncho!

I hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving! Mine was entertaining as usual and filled with the love of a wonderful husband, our two polar opposite families, and tons of oh.em.gee delicious food!

Today, instead of shopping in all the madness, I stayed indoors in the safety of my kitchen-turned-craft-room. I finished one of the items on my to-do list, added another, and gave up on a third. I am not normally a quitter, but sometimes you just have to know when to throw in the towel. I've been fiddling with this plaid-kimono-like garment for months and all of my brilliant ideas have totally flopped. Now it is sewn nearly beyond repair. I say nearly, because it could be salvaged if I had the time, patience, and lots of bandaids, to rip out all the thousands of little stitches that I've sewn into it and start over from scratch. But that just isn't happening. Luckily the fabric was incredibly cheap, so not too much was lost.

The item that I completed successfully was my no-sew fleece poncho. I wanted it to be strictly "no-sew" so I would be able to brag about how super easy it was, and so I could make a tutorial for anyone who is not very keen on sewing but wants to make one as well. This project can be completed in 5 easy steps with only 5 materials.

The finished product:


And here is what it looks like on:



What you will need for this project:
  • About a yard or so of your chosen fleece
  • Scissors
  • A marker
  • A hot glue gun with glue sticks
  • Measuring tape

The tutorial: 


Click the image to enlarge.



It looks like I sewed around the edges of some parts, but that's b/c instead of buying fleece at the store I used a fleece blanket we already had (I'm being SUPER thrifty these days) and it already had a stitch around the edges. I just used edge pieces to make the belt and collar and save some of the pretty stitching. I promise this really is NO-SEW! I made a flower pin and pinned that at the collar for an extra accessory. I'm also going to experiment with different belts when wearing this. You can do whatever you like to make it your own! Hope you enjoy and have fun making yours!

xoxo

Rachel

4 comments:

  1. hi, I would love to pin this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I'm sorry I just now saw this comment! By all means, pin away :) I haven't figured out how to add a pin it button to my posts yet!

      Delete
  2. I just discovered this poncho on Pinterest, and I have to say I love it! I was just curious whether you've tried washing it. I wondered how well the hot glue holds up in the wash. Thanks for sharing a great project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, thank you for the comment! I have washed my poncho several times and it has held up fine. I typically wash with cold water and tumble dry. :)

      Delete

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...