Thursday, November 10, 2011

Latest DIY project: long sleeve cowl-neck top with two fabrics.

I have a folder on my computer called "Inspos" that is chock full of photos of things I've seen while browsing the web that I would like to try and DIY.

I was inspired to make this shirt by one I saw while window shopping on Etsy a few weeks ago. I think the shirt must have sold by now because I wasn't able to find the listing again to link directly to it. It was a long sleeved black sweater with a kangaroo pocket and it had a black and white striped cowl neck and matching half sleeves. I thought it was so cute and wanted to buy it, but it was selling for $60 that I just don't have. I decided that I could probably make one like it for a fraction of the cost if I tried hard enough.

To make this shirt, I was going to need two shirts OR one long sleeved shirt and some extra fabric. It just so happens that my husband recently ruined a nice polo of his by spilling something brown down the front. I tried to get the stain out with no success, and then stuck the shirt in my fabric box to use for a project at a later date. His white and gray striped polo provided a perfect cowl neck and sleeves for this project! The solid charcoal gray shirt was a long sleeved top I got at Forever 21 for $6.

I used the sleeves of his polo for the sleeves on the new shirt. They already had a finished hem so I didn't have to do any work there. I used the fabric on the back of the striped shirt (no stain on that side) for the cowl neck. I cut a large piece that was twice as tall as the neck I wanted, again using the already hemmed edge of the striped shirt to save me some time. I formed a circle and sewed it shut, then attached it to the inside of the neck of the gray shirt and folded it over to the outside. Another way to do it would be to cut it from the upper middle part of the shirt and then fold it over before sewing so the two rough edges are touching, close up your circle and then sew the rough edges to the inside of the other shirt. That would require no hemming on your part. I wasn't sure how this would turn out and I didn't take photos as I went, so no step-by-step for this one my friends :/

Overall I am pretty pleased with the results! And thrilled that it cost only $6 plus tax and a little of my time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...